Wednesday 3 July 2019

WOYWW....

Now this really is a special blog post for me.  This week I was asked if I could make 4 bears out of a Grandmother's wedding dress....another first for me but what a wonderful thing to be asked eh?

On Monday the Granddaughter arrived with the dress and really threw me a curved ball....I had imagined a long white / ivory dress.  Her Nan was 98 and had only died a few weeks back and when sorting through her things they had come across an old Marks and Spencer's carrier bag [So old that it was actually a St Michael's bag!] and when asked what it was her daughter had said it was Nan's wedding dress.  Here's a pic of what came out of the bag.....





It's a beautifully patterned dusky pink slub silk dress.....My Mum got married in powder blue so I'm not sure why I was surprised as she would have been married at a similar time.  It was war-time and I guess long white dresses just weren't possible.

I feel to blessed to be trusted with such a special dress and will be making 4 bears for her 3 daughters and 1 granddaughter out of it.





....And here's a pic of Nan's Wedding day with her wearing the dress.....I get to share so many special memories don't I?



I've already taken my scissors to it and removed the skirt panels and pressed them ready to cut out the 16 bear panels.



Just look at the gorgeous buttons on the front of the dress....and strangely enough there are 4 of them so they can each have one on the front of their bears.

So you can see what I will be doing today....and loving every minute of it.  I really hope you're enjoying your day too....I will be over to yours ASAP to see what you're up to.
Hugs,
Annie x

14 comments:

Helen said...

what a gorgeous dress, and the resulting bears will be beautiful indeed! can't wait to see them. Happy WOYWW Helen #1

Catriona said...

Gorgeous dress which will make stunning bears in memory of a much loved lady. My mother was married in a beautiful ivory traditional dress in 1945 because my gran was a tailor who made it using some bartered material it was a crepe material but sadly was not carefully stored so was all rust marks when I wanted to wear it 25 years later. Looking forward to seeing the little bears with their buttons.

Twiglet said...

That is lovely Annie - do you think the dress was also handmade? How brilliant that there were 4 buttons too - life is full of little coincidences isn't it. xx Jo

Lynn Holland said...

Oh Annie I’m in agony that you are cutting up that beautiful dress, I would wear it and cosset it now.
But then how wonderful to have found it and it to be loved anew
Lynn xx 8

Julia Dunnit said...

Oh what a wonderful story, very glad the beautiful dress has arrived and is safe in your hands Annie. Makes me all warm inside knowing that you are making bears to perpetuate her story.

Lunch Lady Jan said...

I can't think of a better thing to do with that lovely dress than to give it a new lease of life - which you'll do brilliantly. It's the photo that gets me, those memories of people long gone. I shall look forward to seeing the bears from this one.
Hugs LLJ 5 xxx

Neet said...

Can't wait to see these bears - hope you show them to us. How strange that there were just the right amount of buttons, as if it was meant to be. Such a special day ahead now with making those bears - enjoy !
Hugs, Neet xx 15

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Wow, Annie, how utterly precious and amazing is this, that dress fabric is really exquisite, yes it would have been a practical choice! Love the buttons two, very providential the four buttons for four bears.
Happy WOYWW. Thanks for sharing, Shaz in Oz.x #18

{Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Thanks for the visit...You mentioned being late, but to me it's only 7 AM as I type this. Gloomy day here, but my burst of energy I'll be boxing up "Stuff" had some inspiration from a cousin a post I had on FB on elderly downsizing. Funny what motivates one. Hope you have a great week.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Gorgeous dress, it seems almost a shame to cut it up but at least it will be loved more and not stuck in a cupboard all the time. Hope you're having a great woyww and many thanks for the lovely comment over at mine, Angela x13x

Caro said...

How gorgeous! Those bears will be stunning with their lovely buttons and I love that there is a picture of the Grandmother wearing the dress as well. Happy WOYWW. With love & God Bless, Caro x (#9)

Kathryn Frantz said...

That fabric is so lovely! Your bears will surely be a sentimental heirloom!
Thanks for sharing. I will be looking forward to seeing the bears!

Anne said...

Oh how lovely Annie, I cannot wait to see the bears. I did agonize on giving you my dad's shirt and cardigan ( which I had bought him and he'd had little chance to wear. But they had sat in a drawer for so many years and I have such joy from the ones you made for me. At the moment they are sat together and I smile and say hello each time I spy them. Hugs Anne x

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Annie I am so looking forward to seeing those four bears. What a beautiful colour that dress is, the envy of many today as it's spot on trend in colour and design. What a Vintage treasure along with those buttons. How lovely to see the photograph too. Have fun Annie, I know you will.
WoywW Hugs Tracey #4