Friday 12 July 2019

This week's smiles.....week 329

It's been another lovely sunny week filled with smiles for me so here's a few pics from our little back garden this week.  When we moved here 5 years ago the whole of the garden was overgrown and the plants were badly neglected....most were waste height on 2/3 of the garden!....so we had a lot of sorting out of what we wanted to keep and what had to go.....




These are a couple of snaps from back then.  As pretty as the Japanese anemones were they had taken over most of the garden and it's taken us til now to remove all but a few that are where we want them to grow....if you leave even the tiniest piece of root it shoots up and spreads!



We kept the old garden shed because it still had a lot of life left in it and as you can see there are now some really pretty plants growing up it.

We cleared areas of the garden to have as lawn for the children and Milly to play on.

This is the latest addition to the garden.  Since we got here we have wanted a small veg patch so now my darling hubby is winding down to retirement he has had more time to get his head around building us a new raised bed to grow a few plants in....we've had all sorts of comments about it looking like a spa or a coffin so all I will add is if I go missing then you will all know where to start digging to find me :-)
Hopefully the top soil will be delivered today so we can get at least a few salad veg growing for this years enjoyment.





As you can see its tucked around the side of the kitchen extension by the water butt and little greenhouse where there are already lots of tomatoes growing so it should be perfect.





Here's a few of the latest flowers coming into bloom...there's always something coming out into bloom to make me smile.  I really love our little garden.







I have found a few gardening funnies on Pinterest that I thought I'd share with you....hope none offend.

I will add that the cucumber plant we planted was eaten by the slugs so we won't have any this year.




 I've not been able to kneel down since I had my knee replacement so maybe this is the answer?






 Think this is the mug to get Dod for his retirement....I'm hoping he will enjoy playing in the dirt and growing us some yummy veg.






We have so many bees and insects enjoying our garden that this one made me chuckle....I'm easily amused.




I hope you have enjoyed your visit and will share your smiles with us by linking them below.  have a great week.
Hugs,
Annie x

8 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You have really worked that area beautifully. I love your garden shed. I would also like a green grass area like yours. Of course, I am always in love with your flowers. I don't seem to have that in my garden. I was very, very impressed.

Adorable funnies today, dear. Hope you have a great Friday and weekend, too.

Helen said...

your garden is looking fab, love those Japanese anemones

Twiglet said...

Great funnies this week. Love your garden too. xx Jo

Julia Dunnit said...

Well my lovely Annie, I’m so late for WOYWW that I’ve got a double whammy from you. Gosh I’m jealous and happy for Dod, there’s so much to come for you both! I do like a customer that thinks ahead about winter clothing and alterations. My dad always used to lecture us about ‘lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part’, so am doubly impressed at the coat sleeve shortening! Your garden is looking marvellous, what a pleasure to share it with you.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Your garden looks lovely. Good funnies.

Lisca said...

Oh you have a beautiful garden! Yes, the japanese anemones are very invasive. But I love them. I had different ones in my garden in the UK and I just kept them in check. (Planted them in underground buckets).
I love the roses on the shed. Have you tried to grow sweet peas? If you get the fragrant ones, they are a joy to look at and you can cut them and put them in a little vase to brighten up you work place.
I like the idea of a raised bed. Keep us up to dat on that one.
You have some funnies too! great! They are all so funny! I especially like the first one.
Have a lovely weekend Annie,
Hugs,
Lisca

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Annie, bet you thought I'd got lost today but I've been to the gym this morning then cat cuddling and visitors too but I'm here now and loving the funnies. Look forward to seeing what you grow in the new raised bed and it should keep someone busy for a while too. Happy weekend, Angela xxx

mamapez5 said...

I too love Japanese Anemones. I had them in my last garden, but you are right, they do spread! but you have lots of other lovely flowers to enjoy as well.
Its a good idea to hide the shed with some pretty climbers. I hope you have success with your vegetable 'coffin'. It is certainly in the ideal spot.
You made me smile with your gardening funnies. have a lovely week.
Kate x