Friday 3 September 2010

Chutney before breakfast.....

Because I open up my sewing business at 8 o clock I have to do anything that requires me going down the garden before I open up so this morning I got up at 7 and before 8 had picked our wonderful garden produce.



The tomatoes from the greenhouse.  




Yes they really are that big!











The onions from drying on the trug in the greenhouse [Twiglet only gathered them from the garden yesterday!].


And I picked Bramley apples from our new little Apple tree in the garden [the whole tree is only about 4 foot 6 inches tall but has already produced us some wonderful apples].






I have chopped all the ingredients and filled my large preserve pan with the fruit, veg, sugar and pickling vinegar.  It's all simmering away as I type  :-)  
....and the smell is just wonderful  :-)






For those interested in making some here is the recipe I've used.....

  • 1kg ripe tomatoes, chopped
  • 450g onions, chopped
  • 2 eating apples, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
  • 200g light brown sugar
  • 600ml pickling vinegar
1. Put all the ingredients, apart from the vinegar, in a preserving pan or large, deep saucepan. Add half the vinegar and season.
2. Place the pan over a medium heat. Slowly bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring constantly, until the sugar has dissolved. Simmer for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender.
3. Stir the vinegar into the chutney. Cook for a further 30 minutes, stirring often, or until thickened. If it's still runny, simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
4. Divide the hot chutney between sterilised jars and set aside to cool.
Store in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight, for at least 1 month before eating. It will keep for up to 6 months. Chill after opening and use within 1-2 months.
  
Oh, and yes, Twiglet I'm sure there will be a jar with your name on it  :-) 


Don't forget to join in the celebration draw above  :-)

Latest update......The Result ......

 
Yum yum  :-) :-) :-)


12 comments:

Twiglet said...

Oh yes please - that sounds delicious! Little kilner jars were £1.99 with nice clippy lid in Tuffins.

Karen said...

ooo that all looks delicious!!!! XXX

A Thrifty Mrs said...

That looks sooooooo good!

Linda D said...

This is why I need a bigger garden!
Buying the ingredients for homemade chutney, pickle, jam etc. doesn't make it so worthwhile - although they do taste better.

mckinkle said...

oh WOW Annnie how lovely its been to catch up with your blog; what a fab array of plum jams and tomato chutneys! What a fab kitchen gardener you are!
Sounds like you had the most fun on your girly weekend with all the girls over at yours!

Well done Annie on your 102 followers, it is not at all surprising as its so lovely to get a glimpse of your busy crafting life!

Keryn x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am so impressed. My garden is dead or dying. This has been the worst year for gardening due to the heat and lack of water. You look like you had a bumper crop, something I had last year. I really must try this recipe!

mashy20 said...

Helloooooooooooo
I am collecting jars for you! Do you want them?
Shell xx

Killiecrankie Farm said...

i will be abck in the summer for your chutney recipe - its sound lovely (and the plum jam . . . .)

MarmaladeRose said...

Thank you for the award. Your kitchen looks like mine, I've been making chutney too. Courgette and ginger, yummy. It's plum and apple jam tomorrow.

MarmaladeRose said...

Thank you for the award. Your kitchen looks like mine, I've been making chutney too. Courgette and ginger, yummy. It's plum and apple jam tomorrow.

Felted House said...

I've got tomatoes that look a bit like yours, are yours Brandywine? I haven't made chutney for years, the neighbours have just given us some eating apples, I think that's a sign that I should try your recipe! xx

Kathy said...

I'm trying to catch up after a hectic couple of weeks! Your garden produce looks wonderful - those toms are HUGE. We've had absolutely loads of tomatoes already but I think you win on the size front!