Wednesday 20 March 2019

WOYWW....

It's been a busy desk here at Sewing by Annie's this week so I will share a few pics of what's been going on...

We were babysitting for Amy's three on Friday night and after picking the children up from school they requested crafty fun so we made pom-poms....Phoebe made the unicorn at the front and the two to the right are the two 'dogs' like their two at home that Lulu made from joining two together so they had heads and bodies.



This is the Arsenal pom-pom that Steve made.

The pom pom makers are brilliant for quickly making pom-poms so they get a result before boredom sets in for the younger children.



Phoebe wanted to make a heart to give to her mummy so we made a heart shape from card and stuck lots of pom-poms on the front and attached a ribbon so Amy could hang it up....I think we were all rather pleased with the results.

Making one pom-pom was as much as Steve wanted to make so he played with the Lego with his Grandad while I had a sewing session with the girls.


Phoebe is 10 now and Lulu will be 9 next month so I suggested they had a first lesson on the sewing machine....of course they jumped at the chance.

Here they are carefully cutting out some hair bows.  I don't have photos of them on the sewing machine because, of course, my hands were being used to guide them but ......

Here's the results....5 hair bows on bands and 7 hair scrunchies [one of the bows was already in Lulu's hair at this point :-)
It was a brilliant first lesson. They learnt how to..
  • pin a pattern on two layers of different materials with the right sides together.
  • carefully cut out the fabric around the pattern in the corner of the fabric so it's not wasting any
  • Stitch the two layers together on the sewing machine on the seam allowance and leaving a gap to turn right sides out
  • Turn right sides out of the bows and pushing edges out to the row of stitching to get a point and proper shape before pressing.
  • Turn a tube right sides out and threading the elastic through for the scrunches.
  • and of course which scissors are allowed for cutting paper/fabrics ;-)


They were really proud of the finished results and went to school Monday morning wearing one each so they could tell their teachers how they made them....and of course you can see just how much I love my grandchildren that I allowed them free choice of my fabrics :-) :-)





On my desk today is another little Memory bear being made from babygros so you can see my desk sure has had some action this week.

I hope you have enjoyed your visit this week....sorry it's a rather longer post this week.
Hugs,
Annie x

21 comments:

Helen said...

great to see your next generation picking up your sewing skills.. have a great week Helen #3

Anne said...

Lovely post Annie. I too have been crafting with my granddaughter Ella. Phoebe ( 10 this year :-) ) decided to do something different this time. Anne X #14

crafty cat corner said...

I haven't made pom poms for years, you've made me want to have a go again. lol
Briony
x

Twiglet said...

Oh well done Phoebe and Lulu - and Nanny of course - fab makes there! xx Jo

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Annie, great to see them having so much fun, and learning some skills at the same time! You know they'll want to make something every time they come over now, lol. By the way, Cindy( Plants List) would like some info on where the Crop is being held, could you give her the info please, as I could only supply the date, I've forgotten exactly where it is! Have a lovely week, Hugs, Shaz #10 X

shazsilverwolf said...

Sorry, that should be My name is Cindy!X

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I'm glad they like to do arts and crafts. That's how I got started too: at a young age. It is so much fun.

Glenda said...

Your post has made me smile! I remember crafting with my grandson when he was little. He loved to make his mom cards. Oh that was so long ago. He just turned 21 this February. My how time flies so enjoy those girls while you can! Happy WOYWW!

Lynn Holland said...

Can you see my big smile Annie. Such concentration is wonderful. I want to be one of your gang haha xxx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

I think the pompoms were probably one of the first thing I made with my grandmother as a child. It makes me so happy to see children getting involved in any anything practical and arty as so many schools are no longer offering practical subjects because they are costly to maintain but I'd better not go down that route. Have a lovely week and a happy woyww, Angela x11x

Sarah Brennan said...

How brilliant of Phoebe and Lulu for a first session on the machine. Lucky girls to have such a great teacher Annie! They will be getting orders from their classmates next lol. Happy WOYWW Sarah #4

Sue Jones said...

Adorable. I love the Arsenal one ( my sons fav team too) . Very useful to make the hairbands.

Caro said...

Lovely post with lovely photos - Ive not heard of a pompom maker before - we used to do it round cardboard and it took hours! Lovely to see your grandchildren busy at crafts with you. Thanks for sharing. Take care and have a lovely week. With love & God Bless. Caro x (#30)

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

It might have been a longer post than usual but I enjoyed every bit. It was lovely to see their enjoyment with their sewing. I have seen the pompom maker recently and what a good thing for children when they are just starting. I remember making dozens of the when I was young. xxx Maggie #19

Catriona said...

My maternal brandmother taught me ti sew, to knit and to tell the time. She was a tailor by profession and was very patient with me. I can still work a treadle sewing machine as muscle memory kicks in and my feet just remember what to do. You have also taught them two very important lessons-never waste any materials and never use scissors without asking permisson. Norrie used my dressmaking scissors eatly on in our marriage to cut wallpaper!! He never did that again you can be sure!!

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Well done to them all! It's lovely to see kids sewing, I used to take my machine into school and helped the kids make their own play costumes, great fun!
Hugs LLJ 8 xx

Heather M said...

Hi Annie, it sounds like you enjoyed it just as much as the girls. I'm looking forward to when my grandchildren are old enough to craft with me, but the boys will probably prefer Lego with their grandad too! The scrunched and pompoms look great! Have a lovely week Heather x #32

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

A lovely time had by all Annie they will be forever thankful to you for taking the time to learn them these life skills. These times are so important, you must be so proud. Well done to all.
Happy WoywW Tracey #7

Julia Dunnit said...

Oh look at those concentrating faces! how lovely Annie, these are skills for life and I love that you’re teaching the girls. I also love how Steve managed an Arsenal pompon and then moved on...it’s something in the wiring isn’t it!

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Wonderful post Annie, those little sewers excelled didn’t they, clever indeed for Miss Nine and Miss Ten. Something they will remember all their lives, I remember my nana teaching me to crotchet! I was taught on sewing cotton and a really fine crotchet hook, I’m amazed I persevered! Edged a hanky but think she did some of it though.
Happy belated WOYWW. Hugs Shaz in Oz.x #15
Some really special smiles too, loved the two puppies at the door! 😊

{Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

Neet said...

What a lovely time was had by all concerned. Such a valuable play time and learning a new skill so much better than a lot of things youngsters could be doing. Great to see you getting them ready for the next generation of WOYWW'ers.
Hugs, Neet 5 xx