Wednesday 23 August 2017

WOYWW.....

Wahooooo it's Wednesday again.  I love Wednesdays because I get to check out what all my blogging buddies have been up to creatively.  If you call in here just leave me a little message so I know you've called in and I will do my best to pay you a return visit....it may take me a little while but I do my best to visit you all even if I can't leave you a comment.  It's going to be a busy day for me today [another one!!] because I have a bride coming this morning and another one coming this afternoon.

So what have I been up to this week?

This was my strangest challenge this week...it's a back support for a cyclist that needed some repairs doing by hand with strong thread.....two broken needles later and a lot of effort needed with having to stitch it using my artery forceps to push the needle through but I managed it.


You will remember from last week that I'd been asked to make some dolls clothes for Barbie and Ken so I searched for patterns and made a few but none of the patterns had instructions or even whether you needed to allow seam allowances when cutting out.

Here's a few of the bits I made before the girls arrived with their mummy for their afternoon of fun with Nanny.  Some of the clothes needed a bit of adjusting but it's surprising what you can make out of a couple of socks and a few scraps of material.


Saturday afternoon was spent in my sewing room with these two gorgeous girls and their mummy.  Here we are carefully measuring Ken and Barbie for their new clothes and trying on the ones I had already made before they arrived.
We had a lovely afternoon and two little girls went home with lots of new dolls clothes [and big smiles].



Here's the models trying on a few of their new clothes.



And here's the smiles....doesn't it make all the effort well worth it?




Of course I had to make the 4 extra dresses from the materials the girls chose from my stash while they were here.






In fact to make 4 dresses I had to cut out 8 pieces, overlock 32 rows, make 24 narrow hems, make 8 bust darts, sew 4 rows of gathering stitches, sew the 4 tops to the 4 skirt pieces and then stitch 4 pieces of Velcro fastenings to the backs.....yep I'm nuts but it's sooooo worth it to see their smiles don't you think?
That's all from me for today.  I hope you all have a fun week in your creative spaces.
Hugs,
Annie x

16 comments:

Neet said...

Definitely worth all that sewing for those smiles. They would brighten anyone's day wouldn't they!
Great modelling by the 'boys and girls' and great sewing by a loving Nan.
Hugs, Neet 10 xx

Claire said...

They certainly seem to appreciate your creations! So worthwhile, indeed!
Happy WOYWW :)
Claire no. 2

Lynn Holland said...

I want to be one of your grandies you make them feel so special and loved Annie. It was certainly all worth the effort. Look at those smiles.
Lynn 11 xxx

glitterandglue said...

Morning Annie. Oh my. That made me smile - and it's not even Friday!! Nobody realises just how many stages there are in making something which looks comparatively simple, do they? Not implying they are anything other than fantastic!! Glad you have had such fun making everything - and yes, as you say... all those smiles and thank yous... wonderful!
Take care. God bless.
Margaret #3

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Annie, my aren't the girlies beautiful! And clearly very happy with all your hard work. That back support really sounds like it was difficult- made me think how much I hate it when a needle jams and the eye ends up sticking in your finger! Have a lovely week, Hugs, Shaz #7 XxX

Sarah Brennan said...

Those smiles certainly make it all worth while. I can still remember the Christmas that my mum made a small suitcase full of sewn and knitted clothes for a Sindy like doll. It was the best present ever. You certainly can turn your hand to anything with the needle. Happy WOYWW Sarah #18

May said...

So worth your time for the smiles from two very happy little girls... the clothes are all beautiful... the back support sounds difficult.. Have a happy week ahead.... May #15

Elizabeth said...

Hi Annie, I think you deserve a medal for fixing that back support! You do get some strange requests but I expect that's what makes your job interesting - never a dull moment, eh! And from one extreme to another too. Those dinky clothes are cute but I can well imagine the work that goes into them. I started my crafting life making tiny clothes for my dolls - not Barbie or Cindy as they were yet to be invented when I was a child - and I think that they can be more fiddly to make than adult sizes. However, as you say, worth it to see the smiles on the girls faces. Hope all is working out well with your brides. Hugs, Ellie x #27

Lindart said...

Everything is absolutely worth it to see those gorgeous smiles! What lucky girls they are! Have a great week, thanks for sharing, Lindart #33

Heather M said...

Hi Annie, I love the Barbie and Ken clothes. I remember making them when my daughters were little ... i have it all to come again when my grandaughter is older (she's only 1). I love your bright airy craft room. Have a lovely week, Heather #6

Julia Dunnit said...

Oh this takes me back. Seam allowances on these things are pathetic and they are so fiddly...well, as you detailed! I made loads, even a kilt, but when word got around I started denying it, because they were just too time consuming and fiddly for me. Even back then when my eyes were good and I had patience!! You are so good!

Bernice said...

Isn't it so much more difficult to make small clothes - but so worth it when you see the happy faces!
Bernice #1

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Worth every stitch! Those little dresses are harder to make than a full size one and very time consuming but lovely. Thanks for the visit to mine and happy crafty woyww, Angela x12x

Twiglet said...

Lovely photos of your beautiful girls - they would be so happy with their dolls clothes but even happier helping you to make them. xx

lisa said...

Ken & Barbie look very smart in their new clothes. How lovely to be making fun little things. I remember making things too but they were never as good as yours.
Have a wonderful time in Greece, I'm very envious!!!
Thanks for popping by already
Hugs Lisax #22

Cheetarah said...

Honestly I wish I had a grandma like you when I was growing up! Those dolls clothes look amazing! And those happy smiles warm my heart!! Have a wonderful weekend! xo Cheetarah WOYWW #24